The Enabling Accessibility Fund (EAF) provides funding for eligible capital projects that increase accessibility for people with disabilities in Canadian communities and workplaces, creating more opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in community activities, programs and services, or access employment opportunities.
Eligible recipients include:
- Not-for-profit organizations
- For profit organizations
- Indigenous organizations (including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities)
- Territorial governments
Eligible recipients can apply for funding through periodic funding processes, where eligibility criteria are further defined, under three program components:
- The small projects component provides grant funding, up to $100,000 per project, to support small scale construction, renovation or retrofit projects that increase accessibility in communities or workplaces. Examples of types of projects are: installing screen reader devices and hearing induction loop systems, building accessible pathways and ramps, creating a controlled multi-sensory environment (Snoezelen room), and constructing a universally designed office.
Deadline: July 26, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time
- The mid-sized projects component provides contributions of up to $3 million to support larger retrofit, renovation or construction projects of facilities or venues that house or will house programs and services geared towards addressing the social and/or labour market integration needs of people with disabilities in a holistic manner. Eligible projects may include the creation or expansion of existing centres or hubs which offer centralized programming and services for people with disabilities in their communities.
Deadline: May 24, 2018 (CLOSED)
- The youth innovation component empowers youth to identify accessibility barriers within their communities and work with local organizations to develop solutions to increase accessibility and safety in community spaces and workplaces. Funding of up to $10,000 is available to support capital costs of eligible projects, which may include initiatives like installing automatic door openers, constructing raised garden beds in a community garden, or acquiring specialized wheelchairs to access sandy beaches.
Deadline: September 21, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time
This post is also available in: French